Gandoosha (ಗಂಡೂಷ) means holding liquids in the mouth (for few minutes).
Types of Gandoosha
Basically there are 4 (four) types of Gandoosha.
- Lubricating (Anointing) : Mostly by medicated oils but for regular usage
- Palliative (Dosha pacifying) : To be analyzed & prescribed by Ayurveda physician.
- Purification (de-tox) : As guided by Ayurveda physician.
- Healing (In ulcers) : Honey is advised.
Selection of materials for gandoosha
Oil, Milk, Ghee, Water, Honey etc., can be used depending on desired benefits.
- In case of tingling, loosen teeth etc where the cause is Vaata derangement, then Gandoosha with luke warm water + paste of black sesame (ಎಳ್ಳು) is preferred.
- For regular usage plain sesame oil is beneficial.
- During summer & autumn seasons coconut oil is beneficial.
- In case of wounds / ulceration / burns – ghee or milk is the best.
Procedure of Gandoosha / Oil pulling
Even though there are few rules & regulations are explained in our classical texts, simply rinsing the mouth with selected liquid material generally with 1-2 tsp of sesame oil. Rinsing continued till oil loses its oiliness and become white watery liquid or secretion starts in the mouth, nose & eyes.
Note: Initially you might feel aversion to the odour of Sesame oil but gradually you will accustom to it.
Very good results have been experienced in our clinical practice from GANDOOSHA in curing disease pertain to oral cavity and throat.
In past years many of us aware of trend named “OIL PULLNG”, which was believed to be invented and developed by western science. Also said to be capable of curing all diseases, especially of oral cavity. But we should admire in-depth vision as well as wisdom of our Ayurveda Acharya’s regarding Gandoosha.
Author is Chief Physician, Sriranga Ayurveda Chikitsa Mandira, Prakruthi Ayurveda Pratistana ®, Mysore