Most of us are aware of the word “METABOLISM”.
Let us observe few things happening in our body regularly.
- We consume food
- After undergoing many processes it will be converted into our body tissues.
- Most of the waste materials produced during this process, will be eliminated out through different routes.
Let us follow & understand these things slowly & carefully.
In this process, the concept of Ayurveda is very unique.
- Basically there is (digestive) fire, which bakes & converts the food items in to our body tissues. Ayurveda calls that fire as “AGNI”.
- Whatever the food we consume (either solid / liquid) it will undergo digestion process in 3 levels.
- Digestion in stomach – responsible Agni is JAATHARAAGNI (ಜಾಠರಾಗ್ನಿ)
We can take it as macro level digestion ;
- Digestion at tissue level; – responsible Agni is DHAATWAGNI (ಧಾತ್ವಗ್ನಿ)
We can take it as micro level digestion
- Cellular level – responsible Agni is BHOOTAAGNI (ಭೂತಾಗ್ನಿ)
We can take it as nano level digestion
If that Agni is proper, @ these multiple levels, that person will be healthy. If anything derangement happens (may be @ any level), leads to unhealthy condition.
Author is Chief Physician, Sriranga Ayurveda Chikitsa Mandira, Prakruthi Ayurveda Pratistana ®, Mysore