It is medically induced vomiting, where medicines are administered orally and elimination of Vitiated / imbalanced Doshas (mainly Kapha and Pitta) from the body (mainly from stomach) is done through oral route.
Vamana is advised when Kapha is vitiated / other vitiated Doshas (Pitta / Vata) have come to seat of Kapha. Some of the health disorders which need vamana are:
- Respiratory problems like cough, asthma, sinus problems
- Digestive disorders, Diabetes, Skin lesions
- Psychological disorders like Insanity, Epilepsy etc
- Mode of action of Emetics (drugs) while inducing vamana
Emetic drugs are basically hot (Ushna) in potency. Also they are sharp (Teekshna), and have the ability to enter the minute channels in the body (Sookshma)
With the above said abilities
- The induced drug enters into minutest channels, (sookshma)
- The hot (ushna) potency liquefies Doshas / Toxins in the body
- Attacks toxins / Doshas and breaks it down to pieces.(Teekshna)
- Honey being an important ingredient of the drug, the liquefied Doshas will be brought to stomach
- Because of dominancy of Agni & Vayu Bhoota predominancy, Udana Vayu is stimulated and the Doshas are expelled through oral root.
Based on the Dosha predominance, the emetics can be processed with different drugs.
Some of the investigations that might be necessary
- Chest X-Ray
- Lipid Profile
- Liver Functioning (LFT)