Unfavour response to variety of agents acting on the skin from outside or from within the body such as chemicals and drugs, hypersensitivity to various agents and insects etc.
- Erythema (Redness)
- Oedema (Swelling)
- Oozing (Discharge)
- Atopic dermatitis – itchy, redness, swollen and skin.
- Contact dermatitis – is due to contact with allergens.
- Neuro dermatitis – is a non life threatening condition ; Itching may start with a simple scratch or with a tight clothing.
After analyzing the signs and symptoms as per Ayurveda guideline, Dosha (Vata, Pitta & Kapha) dominance is judged and treatment will be planned accordingly with appropriate oral medication, diet and life style.
Psoriasis is a common skin ailment which is affecting nearly 30% of the world population. It is characterized by (mostly) red, scaly, itchy patches, either with dry lesions or sometimes with oozing. Many times it could be an Autoimmune or sometimes Genetic disease triggered by environmental factors.
It may be localized or spread all over the body. Injury can trigger Psoriatic lesions.
Major types include:
- Plaque (90%) – red patches with white scales on the top
- Guttate – drop like lesions
- Inverse – red patches in skin folds
- Pustular – pus filled blisters
- Erythodermic – large patches
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Cardiovascular (Heart related) diseases
- Chron’s disease
As we all know well, body doesn’t allow any unwanted things to stay or remain inside. If the food item what we consume is properly digested, converted, assimilated, then our body accepts it properly. If something wrong happens anywhere in this stream (Dhatus or tissues in the body), the partially digested or undigested food material, which ever enters inside the body will be considered as TOXIN.
Ayurveda sages guide us as to see the dominance of Dosha; to see the depth / where the Dosha are situated; how strong the Dosha are etc. Considering these things, generally we try to treat with oral medicines and local applications. If very much required, Detoxification or PANCHAKARMA will be advised; mainly VAMANA & VIRECHANA.
Allergic Skin manifestations are the most prevelant form of skin ailment. The allergic skin manifestations can be an outcome of both external and internal factors. Externally contact with certain chemicals or weeds or leather or garment materials etc may lead to allergy, while internally any food item or drinks or medicine may cause allergy.
Some floral species are know to cause allergy like parthenium weed or marking nut, while some people develop allergic responses towards certain factors.
Allergic skin diseases manifested exhibit with
- Itchy skin
- Wheals and
- May sometimes also exhibit respiratory symptoms like breathing difficulty.
Ayurveda approaches the condition under the head of sheetapitta and Udarda. Internally excess consumption of Sour, Salty and Pungent food items and externally exposure to cold breeze, contact with toxic substances are identified as causes.
Treatment depends on the presentation of patients. A course of panchakarma would be essential. Followed by there are wide range of medications to aid the patient against Allergic Skin manifestations.
Herpes is an contagious viral infection caused by virus Herpes zoster. Typically herpes presents with vesicular or blisters over the skin following the pattern along the nerve dermatome.
Initially the infection presents with
- Burning sensation un area affected
- Pricking or shooting pain.
Later it presents with
- Small blisters over the skin.
- Mild fever
- Vesicles start crusting and wither off.
In later stage, few people will present pain over the area of blisters, medically termed as Post Herpatic Neuralgia.
Modern medicine advices Anti Viral treatment and other palliative medications of the same.
Herpes when viewed through lens of Ayurveda can be termed as Visarpa, meaning, having tendency to spread along a tissue plane.
Management varies in Ayurveda as per the stage:
- First stage, before appearance of blister, mainly external treatment modalities are helpful.
- Second stage, presenting with blisters, oral medications to balance Pitta dosha is core principle.
- Third stage, for neuralgic pain, various internal medications and external medications aiming to pacify Vata will be beneficial.