Ayurveda explains in Dinacharya the importance of snana (bathing).
Procedure of bathing
- Generally, hot water bath is indicated below the neck (temperature should be depend on the area where we live, season, climatic condition, our PRAKRUTI (body nature) etc). We can say any suitable temperature can be opt by an individual.
- But, for head & neck it should be of less warmth. (If it is of more temperature, it will diminish the strength of hairs & eyes.)
- Bath should be done daily.
- Morning bath is generally advised.
- Stomach should be empty during the time of bath.
- Agni will be improved well. Digestion will become strong.
- Span of life & quality will be improved.
- Valour & physical strength will be increased.
- Dirt, sweat will be removed. Itching due to this will be cured.
- Thirst (ಬಾಯಾರಿಕೆ), burning sensation (ದಾಹ) will be cured.
- Acharyas also say that many kinds of SINS (ಪಾಪಗಳು) will be cured by having BATH properly.
Special precautions during bathing
- Persons who are suffering from facial paralysis, diseases related to eye / oral cavity / ears, indigestion (ಅಜೀರ್ಣ), diarrhea (ಅತಿಸಾರ), distention of abdomen (bloating), running nose (ನೆಗಡಿ) must be very cautious (about the time for bath – duration – which water – head bath etc). Better they can take advise from the nearest, well experienced Ayurveda physician.
Author is Chief Physician, Sriranga Ayurveda Chikitsa Mandira, Prakruthi Ayurveda Pratistana ®, Mysore