Cardiovascular diseases are the number 1 cause of death globally, with 4 out of 5 deaths occurring due to heart attack & stroke (WHO). In India, CVDs are of particular concern due to the increasing number of cases especially with early age of onset, high rates of morbidity & mortality. 25% of all the causes of death in India are estimated to be due to CVDs. CVDs refer to the diseases which affect the heart & blood vessels. CVDs are diseases which affect the heart & blood vessels.
- Poorly managed Hypertension, Diabetes, obesity
- High cholesterol
- Smoking, alcohol abuse, sedentary lifestyle
- Genetic predisposition etc
Common signs & symptoms :
- Palpitations & tremors
- Excessive sweating
- Pain & discomfort in epigastric region, radiating to left arm
- Dizziness, blackout
- Coronary artery disease
- Hypertensive heart disease
- Dysrhythmia / Arrhythmia
- Inflammatory heart disease
- Pulmonary heart disease
- Heart failure
- Valvular heart disease
- Congenital heart disease
- Rheumatic heart disease etc
- Hrudroga refers to a disease which affects the Hrudaya.
- Causes :
- Food – irregular & improper quality / quantity / time & method of consumption.
- Activities – irregular & improper exercise, work shifts, suppressing natural urges etc.
- Sleep – irregular sleep – wake cycle, night outs, day sleep etc.
- Stress – emotional, work pressure etc.
- Improper lifestyle > imbalance of Doshas > disturbance in digestive process > disturb the Rasa Dhatu > which helps the Doshas localize in Hrudaya > Hrudroga
- Types – Vata / Pitta / Kapha dominant / All Dosha involved / Krimija
- Hrudroga may not be always equal to CVDs.
- Signs & symptoms are explained according to Dosha predominance. For example, Hruddrava (Palpitations) in Vataja, Ati sweda (excess sweating) in Pittaja & stambha (rigidity / sudden stoppage in activity) in Kaphaja.
- Treatment :
- Proper diet & regimen
- Lifestyle modifications
- Oral medications
- If needed, Panchakarma therapy (Detoxification / Bio cleansing)
- Rasayana therapy (Rejuvenation / Nutrition)
- Benefits :
- Medications / therapies will be minimum, with “NO LIFELONG DEPENDENCY” in most of the cases.
- Cost effective.
- Improvement in quality of life.
Author : Dr. Spoorthy S Naik B.A.M.S
Fellowship Student, Prakruthi Ayurveda Pratishtana®