by Dr. Shilpa S N
India is a country with rich source of human resource in diverse fields. A glance of Indian history through past millenniums projects very well of its contribution to the world through its highly talented and cultural population in various fields like music, art, sports, medicine (Ayurveda, Yoga), spirituality etc. The potential of Indian knowledge base in the field of medicine is highly competent to meet the growing health demands of the world. India is fast growing in the field of medicine, with its ability to combine the ancient knowledge with modern amenities/ technology for treatment and cure. India is expected to capture new heights in this field.
Tourism in India:
India is a land of geographical extremes, which has created many wonders for tourists to enjoy. Nature at its best from snowy mountains of Himalayas to sand dunes of Jaisalmer, golden beaches of Southern coasts to evergreen forests of Deccan plateau shows the geographical diversity in line with cultural and linguistic varieties all united under one single name “INDIA”. It depicts “unity in diversity” with each state representing its uniqueness in culture & customs. Blending with the varied geography, India has a rich long cultural heritage, which has been preserved for so many millenniums and can be a wonderful experience for any visitor having a flare for such diversity.
Advantages of medical care in India
- It is highly economical & ensures best care as comparable to many other countries.
- Along with medical care one can enjoy the rich tourist attractions in India which depict its culture & heritage.
- The greatness of India lies in the fact that it offers multiple systems of medicines for anyone to choose – Ayurveda, Allopathy, Homeopathy, Naturopathy, Unani etc; Ayurveda being the oldest and most vital among them.
Ayurveda, the science of life
Ayurveda is the science of life which originated in India thousands of years ago. Our ancient seers perceived the science with the sole purpose of ensuring health to all living beings. Ayurveda does offer best treatments to majority of diseases (illnesses) that are challenging present society. The concepts of Ayurveda are distinct in such a manner that its basic principles give clear answers to newly emerging diseases (illnesses). These concepts stand solid since centuries while the concepts of many other sciences keep changing with ongoing research works.
Scope of Ayurveda in Medical tourism
- Ayurveda describes the aspects, which are essential to lead a healthy life & prevent illness. Hence not only a person with illness but also healthy individual can benefit with proper guidance given by Ayurvedic
- The unique concepts of detoxification / purificatory therapies are mentioned by Ayurveda under the heading of “Panchakarma”. These prove to be beneficial to all with imbalance in the body occurring due to changing diet & life style.
- Few conditions requiring surgery as per modern science can be treated by Ayurveda effectively without any surgery like ano-rectal disorders, eye disorders, non – healing ulcers etc.
- Ayurveda can suggest healthy diet & activities to keep in check some chronic disorders like diabetes, various types of arthritis, skin problems, asthma, digestive disorders like gastritis etc.
- Ayurveda meets the requirements of every person through its individualistic approach in treating / managing any kind of illness.
Medical tourism in Mysore
Apart from health care benefits, visitors can experience a multifold pleasure of touring places in and around our heritage city Mysore.
Mysore the cultural capital of Karnataka, also known as YOGA HUB is just 190 kms from Bengaluru, the capital of Karnataka state. Nearest international airport is at Bengaluru and also Mysore is well connected through railway & road transportation to Bengaluru and other nearby cities.
Religious spots in & around Mysore –
Chamundi hill – nearly 10 kms from Mysore city
Sriranga patnam – nearly 15 kms from Mysore city
Nanjangud – nearly 15 kms from Mysore city
Somanathapura temple– nearly 45 kms from Mysore city
Talakadu – nearly 50 kms from Mysore city
Golden temple at Bylukuppe near Kushalnagara – nearly 50 kms from Mysore city
Melukote – nearly 55 kms from Mysore city
Belur & Halebidu temple in Hassan – nearly 155 kms from Mysore city
Sringeri temple- nearly 270 kms from Mysore city
Tourist spots in & around Mysore –
Mysore palace, Lalithmahal palace, Jaganmohan palace (art gallery), Karanji & Kukkarahalli lakes, Mysore Zoo, Wax museum, Sand museum, Railway museum, St. Philomena’s church, Avadootha Datta Peeta (Ganapathi Sachidananda Ashram), Ramkrishna Ashram, GRS Fantasy park – within Mysore city.
Edamuri & Balamuri falls – nearly 20 kms from Mysore city
Krishnaraja Sagara (KRS) dam & Brundavana garden – nearly 15 kms from Mysore city
Ranganatittu – Bird sanctuary – nearly 18 kms from Mysore city
Thonnur Lake – nearly 55 kms from Mysore city
Kabini Dam – nearly 60 kms from Mysore city
Shivanasamudra / Bluff – nearly 75 kms from Mysore city
Bandipur National forest – nearly 80 kms from Mysore city
Nagarahole – nearly 90 kms from Mysore city
Coorg & Madikeri – nearly 120 kms from Mysore city
B R Hills – nearly 115 kms from Mysore city
Ooty – nearly 125 kms from Mysore city
Malemahadeshwara (M M) hills – nearly 135 kms from Mysore city
Jog falls – nearly 350 kms from Mysore city
Sriranga Ayurveda Chikitsa Mandira
It is a unique authentic Ayurveda treatment center in Mysore. Sriranga Ayurveda Chikitsa Mandira is the health care unit of Prakruthi Ayurveda Prathistana ® located in Mysore. Our center offers classical Ayurveda treatments for most common ailments. It is well equipped to perform all the panchakarma treatments for various health issues. We as a team fulfill your health needs with care & concern.
The diseases treated here are,
- Joint disorders like osteo-arthritis, rheumatoid-arthritis, gouty-arthritis etc,
- Musculo – skeletal disorders like cervical spondylitis (neck pain), lumbar spondylitis (low-back pain), slip disc / disc prolapse, sciatica etc.
- Neuro-muscular disorders like stroke, MND (Motor neuron disease), etc.
- Respiratory problems like asthma, allergies, bronchitis etc.
- Some of the cardiac (heart) problems related to its functional abnormalities, including hypertension (high blood pressure), etc.
- Many of the digestive disorders like ulcerative colitis (irritable bowel syndrome), liver disorders etc.
- Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus & its complications like gangrene, diabetic neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, diabetic nephropathy etc;
- Few of the surgical problems like ano-rectal health disorders like piles, fistula, fissure-in-ano etc.
- Many of the gynecological problems like PCOD (Polycystic ovarian disease), ovarian cyst, menstrual disorders, menopausal syndrome, fibroids, leucorrhoea etc.
- Chronic headache like sinusitis, migraine, etc.
- Many of the skin lesions like psoriasis, eczema, infections etc.
- Male & female infertility
- Metabolic disorders like obesity etc.
Over past decade more than 6,000 cases of various different ailments have been addressed with many significant achievements.
We have successfully treated more than 50 cases of chronic renal failure through Ayurvedic concepts. During the course of which, we have even successfully managed functional emergencies arising in the patient.
Our expertise is in PANCHAKARMA.
We have conducted
- VAMANA (Emesis therapy) more than 450
- VIRECHANA (Purgation therapy) more than 700
- BASTI (Enema therapy) more than 600
- NASYA (Nasal therapy) more than 300 &
- RAKTAMOKSHANA (Bloodletting therapy) 100.
We are not a Spa / Wellness center / Commercial Ayurveda set up limited to only relaxation & rejuvenation therapies. We are genuine Ayurveda treatment center. We are run by a charitable trust & work for a social cause. Our aim is to provide relief to genuine health problems through classical approach of Ayurveda. Hence this is the place for you to visit in India for a combined health and pleasure benefit, which we term as “medical tourism”.
Author is Senior Consultant, Sriranga Ayurveda Chikitsa Mandira, Prakruthi Ayurveda Pratistana ®, Mysore